Having a pet-friend at home is a really great thing but having their smelly blankets is a no go for everyone. No one likes to have a smelly house, right? So, in this post we have kept forward a list of articles that come handy in removing dog odor from blankets. Let’s begin!
How Long Can a Dog Scent Linger On Your Blanket?
The time of stay of dog scent depends on the material of the blanket. If your blanket is made up of natural fibers such as cotton or wool, the smell is known to dissipate much faster, especially when exposed to fresh air. However, bad odors can linger for weeks or months on synthetic garments.
How to Get Dog Smell Out of Blankets?
Let’s take a detailed look at some of the ways to keep dog odor out of your blankets:1. Vinegar: White and apple cider vinegar work like magic on smelly blankets. The amount of vinegar depends on the intensity of the smell. First of all, prepare a mixture in which add 3 parts water and 1 part of vinegar.
Pour that into a spray bottle and mist the stinky blanket and let it sit for 20 minutes, then wash it over. If that doesn’t have any effect, try mixing a cup of vinegar with detergent and warm water in a washing machine.
2. Oxy Booster Or Borax: Borax is known to drive away tough smells from fabrics. So, if the other chemicals prove to be ineffective you can definitely try borax and see the results for yourself.
3. Baking Soda: Baking soda lists as another amazing deodorizing agent to drive away the bad odor that has been trapped in your blankets. All you need to do is, sprinkle your blanket with baking soda and let it sit for 30 minutes, although the longer it sits the better it will work. Then wash it off after vacuuming it properly.
4. Deodorizing Spray: If you are not getting time to launder, you might resort to deodorizing sprays. Deodorizing dog-scented blankets are known to be life-savers for busy and working pet parents.
5. Hydrogen Peroxide: Hydrogen Peroxide is known to be a deodorizing agent used in getting rid of smell from dog blankets. Use one cup of it with your preferred detergent in the washing machine and wash them in the usual manner. Although it is safe for most of the fabric materials, it may fade away color from some.
Don’t forget to go through the safety instructions provided in the booklet.6. Ozone Machine: If every other method mentioned before has failed, this might be the last option. An ozone machine has proven to be the most effective way to get rid of any kind of smell that includes pet odors as well. Also, please go through the safety note that comes with the machine.
How to Dry Blankets to Remove Dog Smell from Them?
Now, after rinsing and washing, you might wonder how to dry them so that the washing turns out to be effective. Here are some tips:
1. Hang Blankets in the Sun: UV rays are known to be one of the best ways to kill any bacteria which is the major reason for any foul smell. So, you can hang your blankets out in the sun. Apart from this, the fresh air also aids to remove any lingering odor.
2. Perfumes Drying Sheets: Another way to dry them is to use one or more dryer sheets in between as per requirement. Also, just like any other scented product make sure that your dryer sheets are safe for your fur baby.
How to Prevent Blankets from Dog Smells?
We know that prevention is better than cure, so if you don’t want your blankets to have a musty smell, you must think of ways to prevent the build up of dog smell. The following section enlists some tips and tricks by which you can keep your blankets smelling fresh:1. Give a nice bath to your dog frequently: If your dog is a mud baby, it is very common that you will need to wash him more often. Also, even if he doesn't get much dirt on him, it is an amazing idea to wash him every month. This will remove any kind of foul and unwanted smell that may have been coming from his body.
The frequency of bathing him completely depends on his coat and the amount of dirt it gets on it. You can also consult your vet or a professional groomer to know how often you wash him.
2. Wash your blankets quite often: Washing your blankets is a great way of freshening up blankets with dog odor. Also, the more you wash, the less smell is going to build upon it. More washing will ensure less build-up of bacteria which will also keep your dog away from diseases. We recommend you wash it once a week or more if necessary.
3. Use a bed cover above the blanket: Using a dog bed cover over your dog’s favorite blanket can prevent it from getting soiled or smelly. It is effortless to take off and wash and keeps the blanket fresh.
However, if you are looking for a customized blanket for your fur baby, you can check it out here.
Even if you love your dog to the moon and back, a smelly blanket is never a pleasant thing to deal with. All the tips discussed in our post are proven ways to drive out the bad odor and make them smell fresh again. So, if you ever find yourself in that position, open our page and just go through this post in case you have forgotten about the tips. Also, bookmark this page to help you find it in the future.
It just takes a little effort to keep your pooch clean and fresh.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why does my blanket still smell like a dog after washing?
This generally occurs when you have used a lot of detergent for very little fabric. Due to this, the extra detergent builds up in the clothes. If you ever find yourself in that situation, run an extra rinse after washing them.
2. What neutralizes dog smell?
Baking Soda is known to be a popular odor-absorber. All you need to do is, sprinkle it over your blankets or sheets and wait for the night. Then, vacuum it the following day. Baking soda will absorb all the musty odor from your blankets.
3. How do you get the smell out of a blanket without washing it?
There are basically two ways to drive out the smell without washing it. The first way is to use dryer sheets between your hanging blankets to avoid the musty smell. The second way is to hang them in the bright sunlight outside. The heat and sunlight can get rid of that musty odor until you find the time to put them into the laundry.
Recommended Articles :
- How To Get Dog Hair Out Of Blankets?
- Why Do Dogs Nibble On Blankets?
- Why Do Dogs Lick Blankets?
- Why Do Dogs Suck On Blankets?